Jam and coconut sponge cake
Makes: 1 sponge cake
- 225g (8 oz) butter
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 285g (10 oz) self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- strawberry or raspberry jam
- dessicated coconut
Prep:10min › Cook:35min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 170 C Fan / Gas 4. Grease and line a roasting tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time beating well with each addition. Fold in the flour and the baking powder.
- Pour the mixture into the roasting tin and level the surface.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until well-risen and golden.
- Turn the cake out of the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack. Spread your jam of choice over the top of the cake and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
You can also make this as a traditional sponge cake if you wish, just change the roasting tin for two sandwich tins, and add some jam to the middle of the "sandwich".
Ive made this a couple of times now and has turned out delicious both times. I like it served warm with lashings of custard! - 14 Jan 2014
Absolutely gorgeous! The only problem I have is the quantity of mix. I won't complain though because it all went within the night. - 08 Mar 2014