Victoria sponge cake with buttercream
67 people made this
About this recipe:
Simple and delicious Victoria sponge with a sweet and fruity filling of buttercream icing and raspberry jam.
Makes: 1 (18cm) cake
225g caster sugar
4 organic eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
225g self raising flour
140g icing sugar
5 tablespoons raspberry jam
Extra time:1hr cooling ›
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line two 18cm (7 in) cake tins with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and stir in the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk if necessary, to create a mixture with a soft dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins and gently spread out with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and peel off the paper. Place onto a wire rack.
- For the filling: place butter in a bowl and beat for 5 minutes, till very pale and fluffy. Add the icing sugar whilst beating. Continue till smooth.
- After cake has cooled, sandwich together with buttercream and jam.
Prepare butter icing in a cool kitchen, or it will make it difficult to work with.
Excellent receipe. Very easy to make and tasted fantastic.
- 18 Aug 2015
Write a review
Click on stars to rate