1 / 1 Picture by:
Slow cooker paella
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 55g smoked streaky bacon
- 170g chorizo, sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1.5L chicken stock
- 2 pinches saffron
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 900g boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 500g paella rice
- 450g raw unpeeled king prawns, deveined and legs removed
- 450g fresh mussels
- 225g garden peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
Prep:25min › Cook:3hr › Ready in:3hr25min
- Preheat the slow cooker to the auto or low setting. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the bacon and chorizo. Cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes then add the onion, garlic and pepper. Increase the heat and add the stock, saffron and chopped tomatoes, bring to a simmer. Season generously and transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same pan, increase the heat and add the chicken thighs. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes to brown on all sides and transfer to the slow cooker. Add the rice to the frying pan to warm for a minute or two then transfer to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on auto or low for 2 to 3 hours until the chicken thighs are no longer pink in the centre.
- After 2 to 3 hours cooking, top up with a little extra water if needed then add the prawns and mussels along with the peas and spring onions. Season. Cover and continue to cook for another 30 to 40 minutes until the mussels open and the prawns are pink. Discard any mussels which do not open.
- To serve, squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over, then spoon into bowls and garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley.
For the mussels, scrub and remove the beard. Tap the mussels gently to check to see if they will close. If they do not close when tapped, discard. Discard any that do not open after cooking.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!