- 5 to 6 plums, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 65g spelt flour
- 60g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 55g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 60ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 23cm round pie dish.
- Lay the sliced plums in the greased pie dish. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar, cornflour and cinnamon.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the spelt flour, plain flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Rub in the butter till the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the milk and beaten egg, and stir until just combined (do not overmix).
- Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of the cobbler topping over the plums. I usually do several around the edges and then one in the centre.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or till the topping is golden and the plums are soft.
Sprinkle the top of the cobbler with a little extra demerara sugar before baking. Add freshly grated nutmeg to the plums or the topping to taste. Serve on its own or with Greek yoghurt, custard, creme fraiche, mascarpone or vanilla ice cream.