Savoury cheese scones
This is a savoury scone which gets a slight flavour kick from mustard and cayenne pepper. They are delicious on their own, buttered or with leftover roasted meats and salad.
305 people made this
200g/7 oz self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
40g/1 1/2 oz butter
60g/2 oz grated strong Cheddar cheese
100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) milk
- Heat oven to 220 degrees C / gas mark 7 and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Sift flour, mustard powder, cayenne pepper and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add to flour.
- Rub the butter into the flour with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in grated cheese.
- Add the milk gradually, stirring well with a knife until the mixture begins to stick together.
- With your hands, knead the mixture gently to form a soft smooth dough.
- On a floured surface flatten or roll the dough to about 3cm thick round.
- Use a 5cm round cutter to cut out individual scones.
- Place scones on the greased baking tray. Brush with milk and sprinkle some extra cheese on top.
- Cook for about 10-15 mins until golden. Cool slightly before serving.
Reviews & ratings
Average global rating:
Reviews in English (57)
Altered ingredient amounts.
Add half a teaspoon of baking powder to make them rise even more
05 Jun 2011
. Excellent recipe and tastes great! I added turmeric and pepper too.
03 Sep 2011
Used different ingredients.
Swap the mustard & pepper for a tbsp of dried chilli flakes, or chilli powder for an amazing spicy kick!
24 Feb 2011
User's IP: 22.214.171.124