- Soak 4 long wooden skewers in cold water for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, using a sharp knife cut any skin away from the fish steaks, then cut the steaks into 2cm cubes.
- Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from 1 of the lemons. Combine this zest and juice with the olive oil and garlic. Finely chop the basil leaves and mix into the marinade. Cut each of the remaining lemons into 8 wedges.
- Halve the courgettes lengthways and score the white flesh with the tip of a sharp knife to make a criss-cross pattern.
- Lightly brush the cut surfaces of the courgettes with the marinade, then set aside. Mix the swordfish cubes into the rest of the marinade and leave for 5–10 minutes.
- Thread the swordfish cubes and the lemon wedges onto the soaked skewers. Arrange on a cast-iron, ridged griddle along with the courgettes. Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper then cook for 10–15 minutes, turning the skewers occasionally to make sure they are thoroughly cooked. Baste with the remaining marinade. (Alternatively, grill on a rack under a pre-heated hot grill). Serve at once with warm focaccia.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Change the flavour by altering the marinade: use the zest and juice of 1 lime instead of the lemon, and fresh coriander instead of basil, and add a little chopped red chilli. Use lime wedges on the skewers, and grill quartered red and green peppers alongside the fish. Other fish that work well in this recipe include salmon, monkfish, halibut and large raw prawns.