Carrot and butter bean soup
- 15 g (½ oz) butter
- 150 g (5½ oz) onions, finely chopped
- 450 g (1 lb) carrots, finely chopped
- 100 g (3½ oz) leeks, chopped
- 300 g (10½ oz) potatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 225 g (8 oz) canned butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and black pepper
- To garnish: sprigs of fresh coriander
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions, cover and cook over a low to medium heat for 5-8 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the carrots, leeks, potatoes, ground coriander and garlic, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the butter beans and 900 ml (1 pint 12 fl oz) of water and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and purée it with a hand-held mixer or in a food processor. Stir in the milk and chopped coriander and season to taste. Gently reheat the soup to warm through the added milk then serve it, garnished with sprigs of coriander.
This is a lovely soup, very warming and tasty. I would agree with the other comments that it definitely needed the stock cubes. I used 2 veggie stock cubes and it tasted great. Very quick and easy to make. - 29 Mar 2012
Altered ingredient amounts. Had to add 2 to 3 vegetable stock cubes when it was simmering,otherwise you would have had a tasteless soup,maybe the poster forgot the stock in the recipe!! - 22 Jun 2009
Altered ingredient amounts. Added 2 to 3 vegetable stock cubes otherwise it would be tasteless!! - 22 Jun 2009