Easy Syrup Sponge
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 75g (3 oz) plain flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 100g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4 oz) butter, softened
Prep:15min › Cook:5min › Ready in:20min
- In a 1-litre microwave safe mixing bowl, add the golden syrup, turning to coat the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, place the remaining ingredients and beat well for 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon the mixture on top of the syrup and spread evenly.
- Cover loosely with cling film and cook in the microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto a warmed plate and serve hot with hot custard and/or extra syrup.
Altered ingredient amounts. Double the amount of golden syrup - makes it taste even better! Microwave for 5 mins on cat D microwave - perfectly cooked. - 18 Jan 2009
I halved the recipe and put it into two large mugs. Microwaved them each seperatly for 3 minutes. It was scrumptious! - 02 Oct 2009
Altered ingredient amounts. 4 minutes 30 seconds in an 850W microwave. You can also use 3 medium eggs instead of 2 large. - 05 Jan 2011