- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until pale and slightly stiff.
- Melt the butter; stir in 1 tablespoon milk. Add the butter mixture , lemon zest and salt to the eggs, stirring well with a whisk.
- Sift in flour and baking powder; mix with a spatula, then with you hands to make a soft dough. If too stiff, add 1 tablespoon of milk. If mixture is too soft, add more flour.
- Divide into balls, about the size of your fist and form a 1.5cm diameter cylinder with each ball. Slice each cylinder into smaller pieces.
- Heat sunflower oil in a deep saucepan or wok until it reaches 190 C. Cook the doughnuts, a few at a time, flipping them over at least once, until golden brown and float to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Transfer to a serving plate; dust with caster or icing sugar and serve.
For deep frying, the perfect temperature of the oil should be between 180 and 190 degrees C. If you do not have a food thermometer, just use a wooden spoon: dip it in the oil and check if it make bubbles. If it does, the oil is ready for deep frying.
See it on my blog
Find it on my blog (in Italian and English)