- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease two 20cm (8in) that are 5cm (2in) deep then line with baking parchment.
- Into a bowl sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarb, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients together by hand to well incorporate then set this aside.
- Into a larger bowl combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla and coffee and whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix just to combine. Do not over-mix or beat as this cake can toughen up. Divide the mixture equally between your two prepared cake tins and tap a few times on the work surface to get out any air pockets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. (Note: check after 25 minutes to be sure your not over baking!)
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 to 20 minutes (or until cake pans are cool to touch) and turn out onto a wire rack to completely cool. Decorate as desired.
I will be uploading different frosting and decorating ideas soon!
For the freshly brewed coffee combine 230ml boiling water and 1 tablespoon instant coffee.
If you cannot buy buttermilk measure out 230ml milk and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to this mix and sit for 30 minutes and use as normal in recipe. The mixture will go chunky, this is normal.