- Put the rice in a large saucepan and cover with a generous quantity of water. Add a pinch of salt and bring the pan to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes (or according to the instructions on the packet) until cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan or a microwave until just below simmering point. Put the saffron in a small heatproof dish or bowl, cover with the hot milk and set aside to infuse.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and red pepper and cook gently, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the ground coriander, cumin and turmeric and continue cooking, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to simmering point. Add the prawns and cook gently for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Whisk the fromage frais gradually into the hot sauce, then whisk in the saffron-infused milk and most of the fresh coriander. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Drain the rice and spoon it into warm serving bowls. Spoon the sauce over the rice in the bowls, sprinkle with the remaining chopped coriander and serve, with a cucumber and onion salad.
Cooked shelled mussels, cockles and scallops are good additions to this mixture, as are any firm-textured chunks of white fish.
Nutrients per serving
Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C