- 375g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 100g lean ham, sliced medium-thick and cut into small pieces
- 4 spring onions, sliced into rounds
- 2 eggs
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- 4 tbsp single or whipping cream (or use extra milk)
- 100g extra-mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- If time allows, leave the pastry, still wrapped, at room temperature for 20 minutes (this makes it easier to unroll without cracking). Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan oven), gas 6 and put a baking sheet inside to heat. Lift the roll of pastry over a 20cm flan tin and gently unroll it. Carefully press the pastry onto the base and sides of the tin. Neatly trim the overhanging pastry with a sharp knife. Use a piece of baking parchment to line the pastry base roughly and cover it with baking beans or scrunched up foil. Put on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans or foil and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- While the pastry is baking, mix the ham with the onions. Break the eggs into a wide jug with the milk and cream, or extra milk, and seasoning. Whisk lightly.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the base of the pastry case, then top with the onion and ham. Scatter the remaining cheese on top. Return the flan to the baking sheet and pour the egg mixture over the filling. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and just firm to the touch.
Halved baby tomatoes and ready-prepared watercress make a colourful and healthy combination for a salad to serve with the quiche. Ready-washed baby new potatoes make a quick accompaniment.
Something else. after making in loose based tins and getting major leaks i have started to blind bake untill the beans need to be removed and then giving the cases an egg wash before placing the empty cases in to finish off and this seems to have cured 99.9% of my leaks - 05 Dec 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. didn't have spring onions so I sauté a large onion chopped in some butter just until it was soft. WHile the onion was cooking I assembled the quiche. So simple and nice! Loved it! - 23 Mar 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. made this and it was loved by all the family, and a few friends as i had to make 2. chose to make my own pastry, brushing with egg yolk only 2-3 times b4 putting in oven sealed it really well, no leaks at all. - 16 Jun 2011