Quick Spaghetti Bolognese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 450g jar or carton tomato passata
- good pinch of dried oregano, or to taste
- 400g spaghetti
- grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
Prep:10min › Cook:18min › Ready in:28min
- Heat a wok or large, deep frying pan with the olive oil. Crumble the beef into the pan and stir-fry over a high heat for 2 minutes to break up the meat and brown it.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Stir over a medium heat for 1 minute, then add the chopped tomatoes and the passata. Stir well, then add the oregano and seasoning. Cook over a medium heat so that the sauce boils gently, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until thick.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the spaghetti in a pan of salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or according to the pack instructions, until tender with a bite at the centre. Drain and turn into a warmed serving bowl.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning, then pour over the hot pasta. Toss gently and serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese.
For a richer sauce, replace 100g of the minced beef with 100g chicken or turkey livers, roughly chopped. Stir in a small carton of single cream after the sauce has been cooking for 5 minutes.
Cool unused sauce quickly then chill and store in the fridge for up to two days or pour into a suitable freezerproof container and freeze for up to one month. To use, thaw, reheat and simmer for 10 minutes.
I'm not the best cook in the world, half the time my food goes horribly wrong. But this recipe was amazing! It was so simple and quick and it tasted DELICIOUS! We're a fussy family but everyone loved it! - 19 Jul 2011
Really simple to make. The recipe was easy to follow and worked well. Didn't take long to make and tasted good : ) Thank you for sharing. - 14 Oct 2009
Quick and easy. The wife and kids wolfed it down :D - 20 Jan 2009