Ginger Whisky Cake
- 50g lard
- 25g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 - 4 tablespoons whisky
- 6 tablespoons cognac
- 1 pinch of ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallised ginger
- 100g sultanas, soaked in 3 tablespoons of rum
- 500g self-raising flour
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C / gas mark 3. Grease a 23cm/9 inch round cake tin.
- Cream lard, butter and sugar together until smooth using electric beaters.
- Add beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add whisky, cognac, ground ginger, candied ginger and rum soaked raisins.
- Stir in flour gradually until well mixed.
- Poyr into cake tin and bake in pre heated oven for 45min - 1hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 2 hours before serving.
Used different ingredients. I added a glaze of melted butter, brandy and sugar while it was still warm. - 25 Apr 2009
A great cake - family enjoyed it. - 25 Apr 2009
I too followed the recipe and it turned out like a rock cake,I started again and the same thing like a rock cake - 21 Oct 2012