Creamy Chicken Korma
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 2 tbsp korma (mild) curry paste or powder
- 600g skinless chicken breast fillets, thickly sliced
- 150ml hot chicken stock, made with stock cubes
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (optional)
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr15min
- Fry the flavourings: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven), gas 4. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or heavy pan and lightly cook the onion and ginger for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the curry paste or powder and cook over a low heat for 1 minute, taking care that it does not burn.
- Cook the chicken: Add the chicken slices to the casserole or pan, stirring to coat them in the spicy onions. Add the stock and coconut milk, and bring to the boil. Season. If cooked in a pan, transfer to a warm casserole. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, then put in the oven and leave to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add the almonds: When ready to serve, remove the casserole from the oven, and stir in the ground almonds to thicken the sauce. Scatter coriander on top, if you like.
…speed it up
If you need this dish in a hurry, simmer it on the hob for 20 minutes at step 2 instead of transferring it to the oven, then continue with step 3.
First time making Chicken Korma, adapted the recipe by not adding so much water, only had 1tbsp korma paste left so added medium curry powder, turmeric and a few crushed chillies. Also added a clove of garlic and about double the quantity of ground almonds as thought sauce wasn't thick enough. My husband thought it was better than the local takeaway. Would recommend giving it a try as it was so easy to do... - 10 Feb 2013