Egg-Free Chocolate Cake
- 550g (1 lb 5 oz) sifted plain flour
- 600g (1 lb 6 oz) caster sugar
- 75g (3 oz) good-quality cocoa powder
- 250ml (8 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 700ml (1 pint 3½ fl oz) water
- 3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 23x33cm baking tin.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
- Add oil, water and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into prepared baking tin. Bake for 1 hour or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
I needed a recipe with no eggs, as I had none in.. I halved the ingredients and it worked out great... 8 cupcakes and a decent sized cake, 20 mins for cupcakes and 45 for the cake! Both tasted wonderful and so much lighter than normal sponge, will definitely be making again... - 10 Oct 2011
My daughter is allergic to cake & this is a great recipe. Don't think it's as tasty as cake with egg in but it's a very yummy alternative. The first time I had far too much cake mix! So, second time around I used a third of everything and still managed to get 20 cupcakes. The mixture is runny and the cupcakes definitely don't need an hour in the oven - mine took 20 mins. Watch the tops as they can easily burn. - 04 Mar 2011
Something else. I made this recipe for my son's class. And it was wonderful. He has severe food allergies and this recipe is both egg and peanut free. I added chocolate chips to the batter. I made cupcakes instead of the cake and I baked them for 22 minutes @ 180 degrees. - 18 Jul 2008