- 425ml (15 fl oz) brewed ordinary tea, cooled
- 225g (8 oz) light brown soft sugar
- 175g (6 oz) sultanas
- 50g (2 oz) chopped candied citron
- 150g (5 oz) self-raising flour
- 1 egg, beaten
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr45min › Ready in:1hr55min
- Put the tea, sugar, sultanas and citron into a bowl. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease and flour an 20cm round cake tin.
- Sift the flour into the fruit mixture. Add the egg and beat well.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Used different ingredients. I added orange peel & dried fruit in place of the citron. - 18 Jul 2008
I thought it was possibly an error in converting from metric to English until I saw the other reviews. Even with extra flour, my batter was runny, but I had hoped to try it anyway. Smelled good, esp. since I used Mandarin Orange Spice tea. I almost burnt the top, but the insides were still runny. Lots of time and money wasted on this recipe. (Golden Raisins instead of sultanas and citron are not cheap) - 25 Mar 2012
Recipe is great- I did make changes and look up equivalents first. The 8oz sugar = just under a cup (I used 2/3) and the 5 oz flour= one cup in US measure. Batter nice and thick. I cooked it at 325f for one hour and it was perfect. - 02 Dec 2012