- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 750ml (1¼ pints) milk
- 225g (8 oz) uncooked macaroni
- 175g (6 oz) grated mature Cheddar cheese
Prep:5min › Cook:20min › Ready in:25min
- Melt butter in a saucepan pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Stir in flour and salt.
- Add milk and macaroni to saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Serve.
i recommend pre cooking the macaroni as the sauce dried up before the pasta was finished cooking - 07 Nov 2011
This turned out lovely , my advice would be for a good finish to transfer to a baking dish sprinkly with cheese and bake in the oven until cheese golden - 20 Jul 2012
20 mins cooking time, yeah right! Try doubling it, me thinks I should have boiled the pasta first. - 18 Mar 2012