Shortbread Base Banoffee Pie
Serves : 8
- For the caramel filling
- 1 (397g) tin full cream condensed milk
- For the base
- 100g (4 oz) butter
- 250g (9 oz) crushed good quality shortbread fingers
- For the topping
- 2 bananas
- 1 (284ml) pot double cream, whipped
- Flake bar, crumbled (to decorate)
Prep:3hr30min › Ready in:3hr30min
- To make the caramel: Bring a saucepan 3/4 filled with water to a boil and put the can of milk in it. Simmer in the boiling water for 3 hours, paying attention to add water for when it evaporates. When opened, it will transform in caramel.
- To make the base: Melt the butter in a large saucepan and stir in the crushed shortbread of your choice.
- Press into the base and sides of 23 cm (9") cake or flan tin. Chill for about 40 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over biscuit base, let it cool. Meanwhile, slice the bananas and arrange on top of the layer of caramel.
- Chill for about an hour until firm.
- Decorate with whipped cream and a crumbled flake. Add more freshly sliced banana, if you like.
Altered ingredient amounts. Used shortcrust pastry rather than shortbeard. - 07 Dec 2008
Made it healthier. try semi skimmed condensed milk - it works and tastes just as good as full cream. Although I usually use two cans - for a thicker layer of caramel. - 25 Oct 2008