- 500g dried moong dal or yellow split peas
- 600ml water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
- 1 teaspoon diced green chilli
- 100g diced tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 dried red chilli
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr
- Rinse dal or split peas; soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat dal and water, with salt, until boiling. Reduce heat to medium and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until tender and thickened. Add more water, if necessary, to prevent drying out. To the cooked dal add ginger, green chilli, tomato, lemon juice and turmeric.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan and add cumin seed and red chilli. When chilli is heated add asafoetida and garlic. Stir mixture into dal and add coriander; mix well.
Sorry, but there is nowhere near enough water in this recipe and 20 minutes is much too short a time to cook the dal. It is possible that I used closer to a litre of water, but I cannot say as, of course, i did not measure it. next time i will. it takes closer to 40 minutes than 20. - 14 Oct 2009