1 / 1 Picture by: chibi chef
Creamy Chicken and Leek Pie
- 1 whole chicken, deboned and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 4 leeks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch ground mace or ground nutmeg
- 275ml chicken stock
- 1 packet puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 125ml double cream
Prep:20min › Cook:35min › Ready in:55min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- In a 1.5 litre baking dish, layer the chicken, ham, leeks and onion a couple of times each until the dish is full. Season each layer with a little salt, pepper and mace. Pour the chicken stock over the layers, and dampen the edges of the dish.
- Roll the pastry out large enough to cover the top of the dish, and place over the top. Crimp the sides down with a fork, and trim the excess from the edges. Cut a round hole in the centre of the pastry. Roll dough scraps out and cut into strips. Use the strips to form a design, and place lightly over the hole. Brush the entire top with milk.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until chicken is cooked through. If the top crust is getting too brown, loosely cover it with baking parchment or aluminium foil. While the pie is baking, heat the cream over low heat. When the pie is cooked, remove from the oven, and carefully remove the design from the hole. Pour the cream into the hole, and replace the design. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
This pie freezes well - simply assemble the pie and freeze before baking. Once you're ready to bake, simply throw it in the oven straight from the freezer.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!