Fresh Beetroot Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 medium beetroots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (500g) tub beef stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- double cream
Prep:20min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hr
- Warm olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped beetroot and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil; cover and simmer until the beetroots are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In batches, add soup to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Return soup to saucepan and gently heat through. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a swirl of double cream.
Serve with crème fraîche instead of double cream, if desired.
I absolutely love this soup; I tend to make it every week. It is a good way to have beetroot all year round; especially since they now sell fresh beetroot in the supermarkets. Veg stock - fine. Must say I'm really into healthy eating, and beetroot is a superfood. Give it a try; especially nice with creme fraiche, but I mostly have it without. - 08 Mar 2011
This tasted great! i added celery to mine as recommended by another reviewer and it tasted delicious. i also used pre-cooked beetroots which made it quicker - 11 Dec 2011
Something else. Add some celery compliments the beetroot really well and tastes great. Can also serve with some feta cheese!! - 17 Mar 2010