Traditional Buttermilk Scones
- 400g (14 oz) plain flour
- 100g (3 3/4 oz) caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 175g (6 oz) soft butter
- 250ml (8 fl oz) buttermilk
Prep:10min › Cook:12min › Ready in:22min
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (Gas Mark 7).
- Sift dry ingredients in a bowl. Add room temperature butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a fork until the mixture resembles dry breadcrumbs. Add buttermilk and mix. The dough will be a bit moist. Roll half the dough into a ball and flatten on floured surface. Cut into six pieces with a scone cutter or simply cut into wedges. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. You can brush buttermilk on top and sprinkle with sugar before baking if desired.
Oh dear followed the recipe but used a food processor now have scones that resemble hockey pucks! - 04 Jul 2012
Just made these scones, added a little more flour to the mixture and sultanas, brushed tops with egg and sprinkled with sugar, reduced temp to 200 and baked for 20 mins due to my fan oven being tempremental and they have turned out looking and tasting great - 07 Jun 2012
i made these today.... they were so good. i also made a batch using natural yogurt to replace the buttermilk these were also delicious. thankyou, i will definitely make these again, they are so quick, easy and delicious!! - 09 Feb 2012