Crumbly butter tablet
- 450g (1 lb) caster sugar
- 50g (2 oz) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 120ml (4 fl oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 30g (1 oz) of unsalted butter
- 90ml or 6 tablespoons water
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Prep:5min › Cook:30min › Ready in:35min
- Place all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly (very important, to stop the mixture sticking to the pan).
- Bring the temperature down 1 notch and allow the mixture to not simmer, but boil at a lower temperature; continue stirring in a circular motion.
- Keep stirring for 20 minutes and eventually the mixture should turn a dark caramel colour and about double its original thickness (Do not be alarmed at the brown streaks, that is just the brown sugar doing its magic!)
- Remove from the heat and mix the tablet with an electric hand mixer for about 7 minutes or so until it has thicken a fair bit and is begging to set on the sides of the pan (but don’t mix it so much that it gets very tough).
- Pour into a small square or circle cake tin or even a small baking tray, smooth out, and then after 10 minutes, score into squares with a small knife so it is easy to break when it has fully set (should set in 3 to 4 hours max).
Secrets to fudge success
Read our Making perfect fudge article to learn a few secret tips and tricks to making perfect fudge every time.
My Tablet did not set properly. Tastes lovely but too soft - what did I do wrong? - 30 Jul 2011
I thought I'd followed the recipe to the letter but it's turned out more like shiny,hard toffee,certainly not crumbly. What did I do wrong? - 01 Aug 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. I decided to take out the golden syrup and add an extra 10z of butter.. - 09 Nov 2010