- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole. Add the lamb and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until the lamb is richly browned. Sprinkle over the spices and cook for a further minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the vegetable juice, stock and tomato purée and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the butternut squash and cook for 5 minutes, then add the courgettes. Cover and cook gently for a further 25 minutes or until the lamb and vegetables are tender.
- About 15 minutes before the lamb is ready, prepare the couscous. Cook following the packet instructions, then fluff up the grains with a fork.
- Divide the couscous among serving bowls and spoon the lamb stew over the top. Serve immediately.
*Offer harissa (the traditional North African hot sauce), on the side. Some warm Arabic flat bread and a leafy green salad would make good accompaniments.
*Vegetable juice, in a can, is made from a blend of vegetable juices (principally tomato) with seasonings. Alternatively, use tomato or carrot juice.