- 2 eggs
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 400g caster sugar
- 275g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500g cored, peeled and diced apple
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Lightly grease and flour a 20x30cm cake tin.
- Beat vegetable oil and eggs until foamy. Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, salt and vanilla; mix well. Stir in the diced apples. Spoon mixture into prepared tin (it will be very thick).
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool cake in tin for 10 minutes before removing.
This cake can be made with only 200g of sugar with equally fantastic results.
I halved the oil(125ml) and sugar(200g), (using half brown sugar). I also added the apples to the wet mixture of the eggs and oil, just makes it easier to mix. Next time i'll and add sultanas and nuts, i think that would go nice. This cake doesnt last long before it is eaten in my house. It takes longer to cook as well- about an hour. - 30 Aug 2011
There seems to be a huge amount of apple for this recipe but don't worry it all cooks in. I found the best way to mix everything together when the mixture became so stiff was to get my hands in and once the apple is in it gets loose again. Smells lovely and tastes even better. I reduced fat and sugar and sprinkled brown sugar on top for nice finish. - 03 Sep 2011
. Try this again with the reduced oil and sugar, change the vanilla extract to 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 almond extract, add a tablespoon of honey. This looseness the mixture up a bit, the result is caketastic !!!!! - 18 Sep 2011