Chocolate courgette cake
- 120g butter (softened)
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 130ml milk
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 450g courgettes, peeled and grated finely
- 1 tsp vanilla
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr
- Line a 20x35cm baking tray with baking parchment and set the oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
- Mix the butter, oil and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and then the milk until mixed thoroughly.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the mixture. Stir in grated and peeled courgettes, vanilla and spoon into tin. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cut into squares whilst still warm.
Pumpkin or squash can be substituted in the same quantities for courgettes.
This cake was delicious.. Didnt tell my teenage sons or their girlfriends what was in it & all tucked in!! So moist & stays fresh for days in air tight tin. I added 1tsp of mixed spice too - 03 Sep 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. I put icing sugar with cocoa and mixed with water to make a chocolatey icing, adding to the sweet appeal for my children! - 04 Oct 2009
Used different ingredients. I added 1 teaspoon of mixed spice which added a lovely warmth to taste - 03 Sep 2010