Gnocchi with Pumpkin, Pancetta and Sage Sauce
- knob butter
- 2 leaves fresh sage, whole
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 3 strips pancetta or streaky bacon, chopped
- 150g pumpkin puree
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk or unsweetened soya milk
- 50g freshly grated hard cheese, such as Parmesan or Pecorino Romano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 (400g) packet gnocchi di patate
Prep:5min › Cook:15min › Ready in:20min
- In a large pot, heat water to bring to the boil.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat, then add sage and garlic and sauté for one minute. Add bacon or pancetta, increase heat to medium, and fry until just crisp. Add pumpkin puree, stirring constantly until pumpkin is heated through. Slowly add milk whilst stirring pumpkin mixture constantly. Simmer on low heat for five minutes.
- Once water is boiling, add gnocchi and cook according to packet instructions.
- Add grated cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg to sauce and stir. Add more milk if sauce is too thick. Remove garlic and sage from sauce and discard. Toss sauce with drained gnocchi, and serve with more grated cheese and fresh sage leaves for garnish, if desired.
For a richer sauce, substitute some of the milk for double cream. This sauce is also delicious with penne, fusilli, orecchiette or any other small pasta shape.
You can find tinned 100% pumpkin puree at Waitrose, via Ocado or in specialty shops. You can also make your own with this recipe.
Omg, totally amazing! Really easy to make and delicious to eat. My 4yo daughter loved it, my dad who at first turned his nose up had to admit after the first mouthful it was pretty good! I didn't have pumpkin, so instead roasted a small butternut squash and used that. Will recommend to everyone and will 110% make again and again - 07 Nov 2013