- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 125g icing sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 125g butter, melted and cooled
Prep:15min › Cook:12min › Extra time:3min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5. Grease and flour 24 Madeleine moulds.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs, vanilla and lemon zest with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in the icing sugar. Beat for 5 to 7 minutes or until thick and satiny.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Sift 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg mixture, gently fold in. Fold in the remaining flour by fourths. Then fold in the melted and cooled butter. Spoon batter into the prepared moulds, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are golden and the tops spring back. Cool in moulds on a rack for 1 minute. Loosen with a knife. Invert onto a rack and cool. Sift icing sugar over the tops or melt plain chocolate and dip the tips in the chocolate. Store in an airtight container.
PERFECT! I can't stop eating them. They are soooo good. Just be sure to grease and flour your pan generously. I used shortening to grease. Also, this recipe requires at least 10 minutes of mixing with the electric mixer but they are worth the effort. Next time, I might leave out the lemon to see what they would taste like without it. Thanks for a great recipe! - 09 Nov 2008
I recommend using the seeds from 1 vanilla pod instead of vanilla extract and silicon baking tray makes it easier to get the cakes out of the tray. No way does this recipe serve 12! Two of us are eating them faster than I can bake them with a baking tray that makes 9 in batches! - 26 Aug 2012