Christmas rum balls
- 175g plain chocolate, chopped
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 125ml rum
- 450g crushed vanilla wafers
- 125g chopped walnuts (optional)
- 5 tablespoons icing sugar
Prep:10min › Cook:2min › Extra time:6days24hr48min › Ready in:7days
- Place chocolate into a microwave-safe medium bowl. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, stir and then continue to heat at 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Stir in sugar and golden syrup. Blend in rum. Add crushed vanilla wafers and chopped nuts. Mix until evenly distributed. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Roll the chilled chocolate mixture into bite-size balls. Roll balls in a mixture of ground nuts and icing sugar, or just plain icing sugar. Store in a covered container for a week before serving to blend the flavours.
I made these at the weekend to bring to a work christmas do. Fantastic! they were surprisingly easy considering how impressed everyone was. I used green and blacks and i think that was important to the final outcome. Thank you! - 08 Dec 2008
I also followed the recipe to the letter and there were FAR too many wafers. Mine was like chicken food too - I resorted to adding warm water to be able to make them into something resembling a ball but gave up. A total waste of time. - 12 Nov 2012
i followed this to the letter and the 450g of wafer was way too much and i was left with something that looked like chicken feed - 18 Dec 2011