- 120g butter, softened
- 450g grated Cheddar cheese
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6. Grease a baking tray.
- In a large bowl cream butter and cheese. Stir in flour and salt; mix well. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1.25cm in thickness. Cut into 5cm strips and sprinkle with chilli powder, if desired. Place strips on prepared baking tray 3 to 4cm apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
Glorious!!! I added two spoons of COlmans mustard to really bring out the cheesy flavour but used SR flour instead of plain. They turned out more bready than straws but they were gorgeous - 24 Sep 2011
I didn't really like this recipe, it asks for far too much cheese and butter, I can make a very generous bowlful with 150g cheese and 40g of butter. Also, the recipe mentions nothing about Colman's Mustard, which is a must have option in a cheesy nibble. - 01 Jan 2012
Used different ingredients. added an egg as the mix seemed a bit dry - 18 Apr 2011