Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
- salt to taste
- 12 corn tortillas, torn in half
- 750g jarred enchilada or chilli cooking sauce
- 400g grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 (284ml) tub light soured cream
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- Season chicken with salt. Arrange in the prepared baking dish. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Cool, shred and set aside.
- Pour enchilada sauce to cover 1 to 2cm of the bottom of the prepared baking dish, and arrange 4 tortillas in a single layer. Top with 1/2 the chicken, 1/3 cheese, 1/2 the soured cream and 1/3 of the remaining enchilada sauce. Repeat. Coat remaining tortillas thoroughly with remaining enchilada sauce, and arrange on top of the layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and top with any remaining enchilada sauce
- Cover, and bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool slightly before serving.
This recipe is definitely what it says it is...easy! It's also very tasty if you like chicken enchiladas and it makes a big portion, so you can feed several people or have leftovers for days. To save time, I just fry the chicken instead of baking and I always add jalapenos for a little kick and extra sour cream on the side. But besides that, I follow the recipe as it is and it's yummy! - 25 May 2009