- 1.4L chicken stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 500g portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 500g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 340g Arborio or risotto rice
- 125ml dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 60g butter
- 5 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- In a saucepan, warm the stock over low heat.
- Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid, and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to frying pan, and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden colour, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 125ml stock to the rice, and stir until the it is absorbed. Continue adding stock 125ml at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Easily make this into a vegetarian dish by using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Ive made this several times now and it always goes down really well. Even the resident teenager wolfs down a huge bowl and hes a fussy so and so!! I find it varies how much stock you need so dont be too concerned if its more or less the stated xx - 04 Apr 2013
Used different ingredients. Used veggie stock to make it veggie! And used closed mushrooms, dried poricini mushrooms (For extra flavour), oyster mushrooms and shitake mushrooms and also added cherry tomatoes and peas for a bit of colour. :o) - 10 Jun 2010
Turned out great! yum!! - 23 Jun 2013