Hugh Fearnley-Whitingstall's Chestnut and Chocolate Truffle Cake
- 250g (9 oz) dark chocolate
- 250g (9 oz) unsalted butter
- 250g (9 oz) peeled cooked chestnuts (tinned if you like)
- 250ml (9 fl oz) milk
- 4 eggs
- 125g (5 oz) caster sugar
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3 and grease and line a 23cm / 9” diameter springform type tin.
- Melt the dark chocolate and unsalted butter together in a pan over a very gentle heat. In another pan, heat the chestnuts with milk until just boiling, then mash thoroughly with a potato masher (or process to a rough purée in a machine).
- Separate the eggs, put the yolks in a bowl and mix with caster sugar. Stir in the chocolate mixture and the chestnut purée until you have a smooth, blended batter.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold them carefully into the batter. Transfer the mixture into the greased, lined cake tin and bake for 25–30 minutes, until it is just set but still has a slight wobble.
- If you want to serve the cake warm, leave to cool a little, then release the tin and slice carefully – it will be very soft and moussey. Or leave to go cold, when it will have set firm.
- Hugh's tip: It can be served with double cream, especailly when warm, but it is also delicious unadulterated. Its a great alternative to Christmas pudding.
- Our Tip: We cooked this for 40-45 minutes. It rises beautifully and is easy to eat with your fingers. It also looks great topped with chocolate shavings and chestnuts.
© Tree Aid, 2008
Something else. I reeeeeaalllly want to know if i can use a tin of chestnut puree instead for this as i have one in the cupboard... HELP! does this mean i eliminate the milk???? want to make this today - 15 Sep 2010
I reeeeeaalllly want to know if i can use a tin of chestnut puree instead for this as i have one in the cupboard... HELP! does this mean i eliminate the milk???? want to make this today - 15 Sep 2010
I love this recipe cos it's got no flour. The 1st time I made this I was on the South Beach Diet, so substituted full fat milk for Skimmed, sugar for splenda, and use tinned Chestnuts, and lower fat butter, worked a treat! - 15 Dec 2011