Bara brith (traditional Welsh tea bread)
- 325g dried fruits
- 350g honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 250ml warm tea
- 1 egg, beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (optional)
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr50min
- Mix the dried fruits, honey, sugar and tea together in a mixing bowl and let stand overnight (or for a few hours).
- Stir the beaten egg into the above mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into a greased and lined loaf tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150 C / Gas 2 for 80-90 minutes until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the tin and let cool on a wire rack. Serve sliced spread with butter.
not enough flour for the amount of fruit in recipe compared to other recipes needs at least double the amount if not more. Ended up with a mushy mess. - 17 Nov 2012
Wonderful... - 10 Jul 2013