6 people made this
About this recipe:
A resurrected " used to bake" for my children years ago, lost the original recipe so tried and succesfully baked them again. They are very simple and I think very yummy
6 ozs Self Raising Flour
2 ozs Custard Powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 ozs Butter can use Flora Buttery
4 ozs Caster sugar
1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp Milk
Your favourite jam
Standard size cake cases
- Oven heat Gas Mk 4 /180c/350f
- Sieve together Flour, baking powder and custard powder
- Rub in butter (as for pastry)
- Stir in sugar
- Bind together with beaten egg and milk adding more milk if too dry
- Roll out lightly on floured surface to a thickness of 1.5 cms or 3/4 inch.
- Using 6cm - 2 1/2 inch pastry cutter cut into rounds flouring cutter between each one 12 - 18 rounds
- Place cake cases in patty pans
- Centre one round in each case
- Make a shallow well in centre of each 'shortie'
- Put half a teaspoonful of jam in the well
- Bake in the centre of preheated oven for 20 mins till golden brown showing an eye of jam in centre
- cool and dust with sifted icing sugar if desired.
Too much baking powder made them collapse. Tried again with 2 eggs and no baking powder - perfect
- 12 Oct 2016
My Mum made these for me when I was a child, have been looking for the recipe for ages, now I can pass it on to my daughter, loved them
- 31 Mar 2015
have made these recently they are sooo nice, have passed recipe on so thank you. Will try using lemon curd as suggested by another reviewer.
- 27 Jun 2011
Write a review
Click on stars to rate