1 / 1 Picture by:
Venison and Guinness Pie
- 2kg venison, diced into 2cm chunks
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 rashers streaky bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- beef stock, to cover
- 1 (440ml) can Guinness
- 1 sheet puff pastry
Prep:25min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr55min
- Heat the bacon in a dry frying pan to render the fat. Remove and set aside.
- Cook garlic and onions in the bacon fat until caramelised. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Dredge venison with flour and brown in a hot pan. Return onion and garlic to the pan.
- Pour in stock, stir and bring to a very slow simmer. Let simmer for 1 hour.
- Add vegetables and simmer until tender. Remove from heat and pour in Guinness. Stir.
- If gravy is too thin, thicken it with a little cornflour mixed with water.
- Transfer contents into a baking dish and cover with puff pastry. Pierce a few steam holes in the pastry.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffy.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!