Plain sponge cake
- 250g self raising flour
- 100g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g butter, softened
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/ Gas mark 4.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and gently stir in the sugar.
- Add the butter and the 2 eggs and whisk by hand or electric mixer until all the small lumps are gone.
- Put grease-proof paper or butter a sandwich tin about 8 inch or 20 cm.
- Bake until golden brown. You can test it after 20 minutes by inserting a knife into the middle of the cake – if it comes out clean, it’s ready. If not, re-check in another 10 minutes.
complete crap does not work do not use this recipe, did not go into a batter was completely dry, something missing, as other review stated. Should be taken off this site - very angry as was for sons birthday - 12 Jun 2011
Had to add milk and another egg as it was way to dry for sponge cake. It came out ok but was not very sweet, wont make this again - 20 Feb 2011
just looking at the igredient measurements they are wrong, might be why it doesnt work. Im no expert but isn't the flour sugar and butter meant to be the same? - 14 Sep 2011