- 250g (9 oz) butter
- 250g (9 oz) caster sugar
- 1kg (2 lb) plain flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 50ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 500ml water
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated orange or lemon rind
- 300g (10 oz) sultanas (or mixed peel)
- Demerara sugar for added crunch
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Grease 2 large baking trays
- Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer.
- Add flour and baking powder; mix in well.
- Add milk, egg, water and lemon zest; continue to mix well.
- Add sultanas or mixed peel; mix well.
- Dollop even portions of dough (not too closey together) on greased baking trays.
- Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Break one in half to see if it's no longer doughy.
- Cool on wire rack and serve warm.
mixture is very runny and decided to rise outwards rather than upwards hence a very large rock cake. very difficult to mix even with an electric whisk. would not recommend to anyone. i tried this recipe as an alternative to scones but it has backfired greatly, i think i'll stick to scones! - 08 Oct 2011
Made these as per instructions. Added mixed fruit and cherries instead of sultanas. Came out too wet. Needed less water. When cooked they became smooth cakes not rock cakes. - 23 Feb 2012
Omg! This recipe makes way more than 20 rock cakes, would have been better to use a bucket to mix it in because my bowl wasn't big enough! Rock cakes are currently in the oven all joining together into one big concrete slab! - 27 Jan 2012