- 250g (1/2 lb) smoked streaky bacon
- 450g or 8 good quality sausages
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Water, as needed
- Freshly chopped parsley, to serve
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr45min
- Cook the bacon in a large frying pan; once cooked, slice into big chunky pieces and transfer into a large casserole pot.
- Brown the sausages in the bacon fat; add to casserole pot.
- Soften the onions in the frying pan; add to the pot, along with the potatoes. Pour enough cold water in to cover the potatoes.
- Cover the pot, bring to a boil. Then simmer on a very low heat for 1 or 1 1/2 hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
Just as my mother used to make it! I prefer to quickly flash the sausages and onion in a little hot sunflower oil and allow the bacon to cook in the stew as opposed to cooking it first. A couple of bay leaves and chicken stock instead of water give it a bit more body. And don't forget the Lea & Perrins! - 20 Jul 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. added a couple of crished garlic cloves - 01 Aug 2008
Seemed to be bland as written. Added some chicken stock, bay leaf, and garlic. - 31 Mar 2012