Banana Chai Bread
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 110g (4 oz) light cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 170g (6 oz) mashed bananas
- 4 tablespoons brewed chai tea, room temperature
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix sugar, cream cheese and eggs until light and fluffy. Mix mashed bananas and Chai into cream cheese mixture. Add flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a greased 23x12cm (9x5 in) loaf tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Remove from pan after 10 minutes.
Try substituting half fat creme fraiche for the light cream cheese if you don't have any available.
Altered ingredient amounts. I made this for some of my friends at work, and it was a big hit. I raised it to a 110ml of chai which made it very moist and lovely. Also, the cream cheese made little cream cheese pockets randomly, which were so delicious! Served with strawberries and coffee, this was really fantastic, so easy and rewarding. - 14 Jul 2008
I am at uni and I made this recipe without spending one cent (I got some Chia tea bags for Xmas from a friend) - I am so proud - I never cook! It looks great, but I should have let the tea get stronger - can't really taste it, but I drank a lot of tea while it was cooking! - 14 Jul 2008
Great recipe. - 14 Jul 2008