Banana chocolate chip muffins
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 225g (8 oz) mashed bananas
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple sauce
- 75g (3 oz) chocolate chips
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or line with paper bun cases.
- Mix flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar. Mix in egg whites, apple sauce and banana until just moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in preheated oven, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Rather than muffins, this can also be made into a loaf. Pour batter into a 20x10cm (8x4 in) loaf tin, and bake at 180 C / Gas mark 4 for 45 to 50 minutes.
Made it healthier. I worked out that each muffin was approx 115kcal. I substituted the sugar for sweetner (15g) and reduced the calories to 70/muffin. I further reduced the calories by using half the choc chips. They were gorgeous & didnt detriment the flavour or texture one bit. Try it & see - 06 Mar 2010
Used different ingredients. Pureed tinned pears instead of apple sauce worked just fine. I hate wasting the egg yoke, so just added two whole eggs. I'm alive to tell about it, and the muffins are great! - 14 Jul 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. I made these for a party but i didn't use apple sauce, and i didnt use chocolate chips. Just buy a large chocolate bar, break of the square but just leave them the way they are. They melt when cooking so when you bite into them, melted chocolate just oozes out. Also, it goes nicely with whipped cream on top and a little bit of crushed walnuts on top of the cream - 24 Feb 2011