Shepherd's Pie Made with Leftovers
- 400g shoulder of lamb leftovers, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 250ml red wine
- 200ml chicken stock
- 500g leftover mashed potato
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep:10min › Cook:40min › Ready in:50min
- Sweat the onions in the olive oil for about 4-5 minutes. Then add the garlic and leeks and fry for about 2-3 minutes. Add the leftover lamb and fry for 1-2 minutes, mixing in well with the vegetables.
- Then add the red wine, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and seasoning and simmer for about 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and allow the sauce to reduce for 5 minutes.
- Place in a casserole dish and layer the leftover mashed potato on top, fluffing it with a fork. Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 20 minutes.
When you do your roast, make double the amount of mashed potato so you have enough left over for the Shepherd's Pie.
Include swede and carrots in your mash recipe - and a few tablespoons of creme fraiche. Serve your Shepherd's Pie with peas. There's something about lamb and peas, it's just a winning combination!
It was challenging to sweat the onions that were not included in the ingredients list........... - 12 Sep 2011
Made this for my wife the other night and she loved it. I didn't have any leeks, so added some celery and carrots. Added a bit of grated cheese on the mash (my own preference). It came out great and was a nice change from the usual minced beef/lamb versions. - 30 Jan 2013
Used different ingredients. This tasted great. I added a handful of diced carrot because I had some to hand and instead of mashed potato I topped my version with cheese mashed cauliflower. YUM - 30 Nov 2010