Bangan ka Bhurta (Indian Aubergine)
- 1 aubergine
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the oven grill. Place aubergine in a roasting tray, and grill 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until about half the skin is scorched.
- Place aubergine in microwave safe dish. Cook 5 minutes on High in the microwave, or until tender. Cool enough to handle, then remove skin, leaving some scorched bits. Cut into thick slices.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook until tender. Mix in aubergine and tomatoes. Season with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Continue to cook and stir until soft. Garnish with coriander to serve.
I'm on a low GI diet for the next year and have been looking for a recipe that has aubergine as the main ingredient. Tried this with a few tweaks which I have added, and just adored it. Loved it with my roast butternut squash oven roasted chips and grilled chicken. I have also checked with my dietician and she says that as far as she can see, it's o.k to eat plenty of. This is one recipe that looks awful but tastes the total opposite - 01 May 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. Add a few tablespoons of your favourite curry paste/powder when adding aubergine along with some low fat natural yoghurt. - 01 May 2011