1 / 1 Picture by: Allrecipes Photos
Haggis, neeps and tatties
liz London, England, UK
Makes: 1 Burns supper
- 1 haggis (with natural casing)
- 400g neeps (aka swede, yellow turnip)
- 500g tatties (potatoes)
- milk (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr20min › Ready in:1hr40min
- First, for the haggis: Bring a largeish saucepan of water to the boil. Place the haggis in the pan and lower the heat so that the water simmers gently - you don't want the haggis to burst! Wrapping your haggis in foil can help prevent this. For a 1kg / 2lb haggis, you'll simmer for a good 75 to 90 minutes, but ask your butcher for best results.
- Meanwhile, peel your neeps and tatties. Cube them, then boil separately till tender (I start this about half an hour before my haggis is finished). Drain, then mash separately with a good bit of butter. If you like, add a glug of milk to get a smoother consistency. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once your haggis is ready, serve alongside the neeps and tatties for a traditional Burns supper.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!