Barbecued Chicken Adobo
- 340ml (12 fl oz) soy sauce
- 340ml (12 fl oz) water
- 180ml (6 fl oz) vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5kg (3 lb) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat barbecue for high heat, and lightly oil grate.
- In a large pot, mix soy sauce, water, vinegar, honey, garlic, bay leaves and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, and place the chicken into the pot. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken, drain on kitchen roll, and set aside. Discard bay leaves. Return the mixture to a boil, and cook until reduced to about 300ml (12 fl oz).
- Cook chicken on the prepared barbecue, about 5 minutes on each side, until browned and crisp. Serve with the remaining soy sauce mixture.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Yummy recipe, kids loved it too. Not barbeque weather, did it under the grill. - 24 Mar 2012
made this for my kids who had had it before, made by a filipino, an they loved it. said it tasted just like it. cant get more authentic than that! thanks for the great recipe, im banking up these brownie points - 07 Mar 2012
I did this on a sandwhich press/grill. I added a little rice wine vinegar to the marinade/sauce to balance the honey. I used a red chilil and a birds eye chilli and maybe a bit much ginger. I added water to the sauce, I would have added orange juice if I had it. I made it too hot with the two chillis and large portion of grated ginger. But it was delicious with sour cream to cool it down a bit, yoghurt would also work. I will make this again but I would keep more to the recipe next time. - 24 Oct 2012