Barbecued Portobello Burgers
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 portobello mushrooms caps
- 4 slices mozzarella or Taleggio cheese (optional)
Prep:20min › Cook:15min › Ready in:35min
- In a shallow dish, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Place the mushroom caps in the dish and turn to coat with the vinegar mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.
- Preheat barbecue for medium-high heat.
- Place mushrooms on the barbecue, reserving marinade for basting. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently. Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes of barbecuing.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Something else. This recipe is excellent. However, I grilled them. They came out great, but I found that the marinade made them slightly runny. Update: I've made these burgers so many times now, they're that good. To add some extra flavour, chop 2-3 onions and sauté them for at least 20 minutes on low heat with olive oil and butter. You then have caramelised onions, which taste AMAZING with these burgers. One final note for those who didn't like the vinegar taste: a good balsamic is essential. The cheap stuff is gross and overpowering. Buy a good bottle (you'll use less) and it tastes much sweeter. - 24 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. I didn't have any oregano so I used two teaspoons of italian herb seasoning (instead of the basil as well). Replaced the minced garlic for garlic salt and omitted adding additional salt. I also used two tablespoons of light soy sauce as there was no balsmaic vinegar in the house. I'm not a big fan of vinegar so I didn't want to use any other type based on the previous tweak. Grilled instead of barbecued (it is November after all!) and the end result was absolutely delicious. Definately going to be a firm quick dinner favourite. - 03 Nov 2010
Made these last night and they were AMAZING! I made two "burgers"...both for me as I couldn't bear to share them. - 03 Nov 2010