1 / 2
2 / 2
C IS FOR COOKIE
256 people made this
About this recipe:
After much trial and error, I've come up with this basic scone recipe which rivals the best.
250g (9 oz) plain flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 pinch salt
4 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons caster sugar
125ml (4 fl oz) milk
2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough milk to mix to a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly and roll out to a 2cm thickness. Cut into 5cm rounds and place on the prepared baking tray. Brush with milk to glaze.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack. Serve with butter or clotted cream and jam.
Altered ingredient amounts.
used self raising flour instead of plain half tsp of baking soda and 1tsp baking powder 30z of milk makes 8 Perfect scones enjoy
- 01 Aug 2010
Write a review
Click on stars to rate