Basil Chicken with Vermicelli
- 250g (8 oz) vermicelli pasta
- 1 dessertspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 boneless chicken breasts fillets - cooked and cubed
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 dried crushed red chillies (optional)
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Prep:10min › Cook:25min › Ready in:35min
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and garlic. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken, basil, salt and chillies. Reduce heat to medium, and cover frying pan. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Toss sauce with pasta to coat and heat through. Serve with Parmesan.
Used different ingredients. I love this recipe. I used fresh garden tomatoes, tripled the garlic, added dried oregano, and omitted salt. Because the tomato mixture doesn't really make a sauce, I added 225ml of white wine and 200ml chicken stock. Let everything simmer and it was simply delicious and light. The grated parmesan cheese is an essential finishing touch. I will definitely include this dish in my regular rotation. Thanks! - 18 Jul 2008
This meal was delicious - it was simple to prepare and make. I added additional garlic and a teaspoon garlic mayonnaise to the tomato sauce. By cooking the chicken first with the garlic and onion the sauce was more plentiful. This is a relatively light meal - filling but does not make you uncomfortably full as can happen with pasta meals - 06 Aug 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. i used double the garlic and onion, and added some more italian herbs and also some tomato puree! - 28 Feb 2011