- 120g (4 oz) ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Prep:10min › Cook:10min › Ready in:20min
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, garlic, mustard powder and salt. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before brushing on your favourite barbecued meats.
Whether it's raining outside or you simply haven't got a barbecue, you can bake your meat in the oven and brush this sauce on the meat during the last few minutes of cooking.
Fantastic recipe! I'd been using the 'Coca Cola' barbecue sauce recipe for a while, but was rather 'meh' with the results. This one is amazing though! I quadrupled the quantities as I cook for a nursing home and it went down a storm. I used it as a dip rather than a marinade and as such, I thickened it a touch at the simmering stage by adding some cornflour mixed with cold water. When it had cooled, I was having staff keep popping into the kitchen to try it! Have bookmarked it and it's gonna be a regular feature on my menu. - 27 Jan 2011
i made this and put it on a pizza instead of the normal tomato sauce, it turned out very well and i would definately recommed it - 12 Jan 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. This is a fantastic receipe for bbq sauce and I've had loads of complements whenever I've served it. I basically substituted the tomato ketchup for 500g passata and quadrupled the amounts to compensate. I also added smoked paprika and used Muscovado sugar ala Batfloke tweak and I think that the sauce definately benefits from this. I basically wanted a sauce to cook pancetta wrapped chicken breasts stuffed with goats cheese in, hence the larger quantity being required. I have however also served it at BBQ's as a dipping/pouring sauce. Definately a receipe that I'll be using again and again :o) - 27 May 2009